.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, January 23, 2006

 

Why is Open-Source Better?

I'm not asking this question tongue-in-cheek, I'm asking it because I'm confused as to why open-source is 'better' than commercial systems in the business enterprise. I have no beef with open source systems - in fact, I have utilized OSS's such as the Apache HTTP Server and Tomcat routinely in architectural designs for years. I think these represent some of the best overall system designs ever developed, commercial or open-source.

However, I have a few issues:

So, I guess I'm back to my 'roadmap' approach to OSS: when there's a fork in the road, take the best path that leads to solving the problem, not introducing further dependencies, and controlling operational and support costs after the fact.

And the EA blogosphere thinks? :)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Technology Blog Top Sites |

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com